The Private Eye Writers of America 2017 Shamus Awards are for private eye novels and short stories first published in the United States in 2016.
DEADLINE: Submissions must be postmarked by March 31, 2017. No extensions can be given.
Shamus Committees will forward their final list to the Shamus Awards Chair by May 31, 2017.
ELIGIBILITY: Eligible works must feature as a main character a person PAID for investigative work but NOT employed for that work by a unit of government. These include traditionally licensed private investigators; lawyers and reporters who do their own investigations; and others who function as hired private agents. These do NOT include law enforcement officers, other government employees or amateur, uncompensated sleuths.
Independently published books (Indies) may be submitted to the Best Original Paperback PI Novel category.
SUBMISSIONS: Please send one copy of each eligible work to ALL members of the appropriate committee. Do NOT submit a book to more than one committee.
There is no application fee and no submission form, as a simple cover letter will suffice. If you have any questions, please email Gay Toltl Kinman at firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE submitting.
Categories for the 2017 Shamus Awards:
BEST HARDCOVER PI NOVEL: A book-length work of fiction published in hardcover in 2016 that is NOT the author's first published PI novel.
BEST FIRST PI NOVEL: A book-length work of fiction, in hardcover or paperback, first published in 2016, that is the author's first published novel featuring a private investigator as a main character.
BEST ORIGINAL PAPERBACK PI NOVEL: A book-length work of fiction first published as a paperback original in 2016 that is NOT the author's first PI novel. Paperback reprints of previously published novels are NOT eligible.
BEST PI SHORT STORY: A work of fiction of 20,000 words or fewer. Stories first published in an earlier year and reprinted in a magazine, anthology or collection in 2016, are NOT eligible.
2017 SHAMUS Awards Committees
BEST HARDCOVER PI NOVEL
- Colleen Collins (Chair), POB 12159, Denver CO 80212
- John Hegenberger, 6487 Ethan Dr, Reynoldsburg OH 43068
- Rick Ollerman, 61 Forest Glen Rd, Littleton NH 03561
BEST FIRST PI NOVEL
- O'Neil DeNoux (Chair), 428 West 25th Ave, Covington LA 70433
- Billy Kring, POB 1036, Sabinal TX 78881
- S.J. Rozan, 302-A W. 12th St #298, New York NY 10014
BEST ORIGINAL PAPERBACK PI NOVEL
- Stephen Rogers (Chair), POB 286, Buzzards Bay MA 02532
- Beth Terrell, 2919 Dunmore Dr, Nashville TN 37214
- Michael Bracken, 1213 South Haven, Hewitt TX 76643
BEST PI SHORT STORY
- Charles Ardai (Chair), 333 Central Park West #33, New York NY 10025
- Jack Clark, 4021 North Sawyer Ave, Chicago IL 60618
- Linda Sands, 7010 Sentara Pl, Alpharetta GA 30005